How to create rpx files when not having used the ppx project files....
Thread poster: Birgitte Sorensen
Birgitte Sorensen
Birgitte Sorensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:39
Member (2017)
French to Danish
+ ...
Apr 23, 2018

Hello,
I have translated a document, which was sent to me in two versions: single sdlxiff file included in a directory containing the tmx files, and a ppx project. I did the translation in the single sdlxiff file, as I was not aware about the ppx project in the beginning. Now - having mailed the translated sdlxiff files to the customer, he asks for the rpx files (returning he translated project) which I have not, because I translated the single file...not the project file!
How do I c
... See more
Hello,
I have translated a document, which was sent to me in two versions: single sdlxiff file included in a directory containing the tmx files, and a ppx project. I did the translation in the single sdlxiff file, as I was not aware about the ppx project in the beginning. Now - having mailed the translated sdlxiff files to the customer, he asks for the rpx files (returning he translated project) which I have not, because I translated the single file...not the project file!
How do I create a rpx project? Are there any way around?

Best regards
Birgitte
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:39
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Why don´t you simply process the ppx using the sdlxliff you just finished? Apr 23, 2018

The sdlppx and sdlrpx files are simply zip files which contain, among others, a folder for the target language.

What you have to do is:

- Open the package as usual and look for the directory where Studio decompressed the file ("Location" column in the Project view).
- Then close the project
- Go to the "Location"
- Replace the sdlxliff file in the target language folder with the one you just finished translating.
- Then open again the project a
... See more
The sdlppx and sdlrpx files are simply zip files which contain, among others, a folder for the target language.

What you have to do is:

- Open the package as usual and look for the directory where Studio decompressed the file ("Location" column in the Project view).
- Then close the project
- Go to the "Location"
- Replace the sdlxliff file in the target language folder with the one you just finished translating.
- Then open again the project and the file in the Editor view. The target segments column must appear now as fully populated (translated).
-Inspect and confirm the segments.
-Populate the TM if needed.
-Create the return package.

Saludos
Collapse

Birgitte Sorensen
Denmark
Member (2017)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It takes in the old untranslated file Apr 24, 2018

Hi and thanks for reply,

Copying the translated xliff to project folder worked well!
But when reopening project in SDL - its still the old untranslated xliff file that shows up

Not always easy SDL Trados

Kindly
Birgitte

Jorge Payan
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
There is a Plan B Apr 24, 2018

Birgitte Sorensen wrote:

Hi and thanks for reply,

But when reopening project in SDL - its still the old untranslated xliff file that shows up

Kindly
Birgitte

I suppose you proceeded with the target language folder, not with the source language folder.

Anyway, Plan B would be as follows:

-Open the package.
-Go to "Project Settings",-> The package´s language pair->"Translation Memory and Automated Translation", and add and enable for lookup the TM you created when translating the sdlxliff file (didn't you?).
-Pre-translate the file in the package.
-Inspect and confirm the segments.
-Populate the package TM if needed.
-Create the return package.

Saludos

Birgitte Sorensen
Denmark
Member (2017)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plan B Apr 24, 2018

Hi Jorge and thx again,

I replaced the file in the taget folder - yes!

Plan B seems more or less to be doing the job over again? It's two huge jobs - so even going through all the segments will take time Pre-translating means taking in the translations from the TM?

I have used Trados for a year now, and still find it complicated...

Kind regards

Birgitte

Jorge Payan
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
"Pre-translate Files" is an automatic (batch) operation Apr 25, 2018

Birgitte Sorensen wrote:

Hi Jorge and thx again,

I replaced the file in the taget folder - yes!

Plan B seems more or less to be doing the job over again? It's two huge jobs - so even going through all the segments will take time Pre-translating means taking in the translations from the TM?

I have used Trados for a year now, and still find it complicated...

Kind regards

Birgitte

You don't need to go segment by segment. Just go to "Batch Tasks" in the Editor view, and select "Pre-translate Files". Studio will close the file, look into your TM and insert the translations for each segment as found in the TM. Then you open the file and presto! most of the file, if not all, will appear as translated or 99% fuzzies.

Gilles Snoeck
Gilles Snoeck
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
How to create a return package in Trados ?? Sep 17, 2019

Sorry, but how do you create a Return Package ? :|

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gilles Sep 17, 2019

Gilles Snoeck wrote:
How does one create a return package?

In Trados, on the left, click "Projects" so that Projects view opens up in the main panel. Then right-click on the project in the main panel, and select the option to create the return package. I recommend adding the word "return" to its file name because its icon is very, very similar to that of a forward package, and having "return" in its name ensures that you don't send the wrong file back.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Sep 17, 2019

Birgitte Sorensen wrote:

... you just didn't copy it into the right folder? It needs to replace the sdlxliff in the target language folder, not the source.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create rpx files when not having used the ppx project files....

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »