Samuel Keating
Samuel Keating  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 09:15
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2017

I've searched high and low for a solution that would automatically add a non-breaking space before some punctuation marks in French (: ; ! ? etc), and automatically use French guillemets, like Word does.

Wordfast does both of these automatically, so it's annoying that I've spent so long on this

I've been googling it forever, and unbelievably, I can only find this issue brought up 3 times -- none of which
... See more
I've searched high and low for a solution that would automatically add a non-breaking space before some punctuation marks in French (: ; ! ? etc), and automatically use French guillemets, like Word does.

Wordfast does both of these automatically, so it's annoying that I've spent so long on this

I've been googling it forever, and unbelievably, I can only find this issue brought up 3 times -- none of which received any satisfactory answer. I don't want to search and replace after I'm done with the file, and I don't want to have to use AutoHotKey!

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 14.1.xxxxxxxx

Thanks for any help
Collapse

Kristin Høgsve-Mouton
Kristin Høgsve-Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:15
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Still looking for a solution Feb 18, 2019

Hi Samuel,
Did you manage to solve this issue? If yes I am curious to know how!
Kind regards,
Kristin

Samuel Keating
Samuel Keating  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 09:15
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure Feb 18, 2019

I haven't used Trados in over a year, since my trial version ran out, and I can't remember if I was able to resolve this issue or not.

Since then, I bought a copy of CafeTran to handle clients who require sdl return packages. It also lacks this functionality, but it's much more affordable than SDL, and I've gotten used to typing the non-breaking spaces myself.

For most jobs, I still use Wordfast. I think it's a French company, so that may be why they've made it work b
... See more
I haven't used Trados in over a year, since my trial version ran out, and I can't remember if I was able to resolve this issue or not.

Since then, I bought a copy of CafeTran to handle clients who require sdl return packages. It also lacks this functionality, but it's much more affordable than SDL, and I've gotten used to typing the non-breaking spaces myself.

For most jobs, I still use Wordfast. I think it's a French company, so that may be why they've made it work by default in their software?
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 11:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
AutoCorrect / AutoHotkey? Feb 19, 2019

In Trados Studio there is the AutoCorrect function (Options > Editor > AutoCorrect > Replace straight quotes with smart quotes) that can be enabled to insert the guillemets with its hard spaces.
I don't use it anyway, but AutoHotkey, a tool very easy to configure. Once set up, it will work in any application!
As for the other punctuation marks (: ; ! ?), I'd use AutoHotkey as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically add non-breaking spaces before punctuation in French + guillemets

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »