Hexxa
Hexxa
France
Local time: 15:31
English to French
Nov 15, 2017

Hello,

I cannot open any file for translation. I follow these steps:
I browse to choose a .doc, .ppt, .pptx or .docx file in my directory.
I then get to choose to open for translation only.

The "Translation memory and document parameters" window then opens and the software proceeds to ask me the source and target languages, I choose both and when I click on the "ok" button nothing happens. I cannot get past this step.

Can anyone help me?
... See more
Hello,

I cannot open any file for translation. I follow these steps:
I browse to choose a .doc, .ppt, .pptx or .docx file in my directory.
I then get to choose to open for translation only.

The "Translation memory and document parameters" window then opens and the software proceeds to ask me the source and target languages, I choose both and when I click on the "ok" button nothing happens. I cannot get past this step.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Gruffydd (X)
Gruffydd (X)
United States
Local time: 10:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try to create a Translation Project, instead Nov 15, 2017

In SDL Trados Studio (2014, 2015, 2017) you'd rather create a new project. You start with giving the project a name and a location (folder), then you will select the languages, and only then you will add the file(s) to be translated. Next step you add one or more translation memories and one or more termbases. Finally, Studio will prepare you document(s) to be translated, that is, the translation project becomes one single .sdlxliff file, which you, the translator, process in the editor. What ... See more
In SDL Trados Studio (2014, 2015, 2017) you'd rather create a new project. You start with giving the project a name and a location (folder), then you will select the languages, and only then you will add the file(s) to be translated. Next step you add one or more translation memories and one or more termbases. Finally, Studio will prepare you document(s) to be translated, that is, the translation project becomes one single .sdlxliff file, which you, the translator, process in the editor. What version of Studio are you using?Collapse

Hexxa
Hexxa
France
Local time: 15:31
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I would still like the drag and drop feature to work somehow Nov 17, 2017

Thank you for your answer. Your method works indeed.
I am using the 2017 version. I understand the steps to open a file within the process of creating a new project. However, as I am not proficient with the software yet, I use the free sample files (i.e. photo printer setup guide) for testing.
What I am referring to is the drag and drop/browse menu on the welcome page which allows skipping the project creation wizard and going straight to the editor. I am aware that I won't be using
... See more
Thank you for your answer. Your method works indeed.
I am using the 2017 version. I understand the steps to open a file within the process of creating a new project. However, as I am not proficient with the software yet, I use the free sample files (i.e. photo printer setup guide) for testing.
What I am referring to is the drag and drop/browse menu on the welcome page which allows skipping the project creation wizard and going straight to the editor. I am aware that I won't be using it that much; it's just that it used to work and suddenly doesn't.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open any file for translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »