Thread poster: Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
Local time: 18:29
French to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2015

I have recently upgraded to Office 2016 and now docx files are not being recognized as translatable by Studio 2011. Pre-scanning throws up 3 errors:

1. Pre-scanning failed to identify the file type...
2. Pre-scanning error: The file was not created by a supported version of Microsoft Word application and will not be processed.
3. Pre-scanning error: The document is not bilingual since 'Tw4winMark' style is not defined.

I can get round this by saving all docx
... See more
I have recently upgraded to Office 2016 and now docx files are not being recognized as translatable by Studio 2011. Pre-scanning throws up 3 errors:

1. Pre-scanning failed to identify the file type...
2. Pre-scanning error: The file was not created by a supported version of Microsoft Word application and will not be processed.
3. Pre-scanning error: The document is not bilingual since 'Tw4winMark' style is not defined.

I can get round this by saving all docx files as earlier doc versions, but obviously this is a pain. I'm assuming that Studio 2011 needs an update to their Word filter to support the latest version of Word, but does anyone know of a fix in the meantime?
Collapse

Allison Bryant
Allison Bryant
United States
Local time: 21:29
German to English
+ ...
Same Issue Sep 28, 2015

Hi, I am having the same issue with 2014. Does anyone out there know of a way to fix this? Working under a bit of a deadline here.... I'd really rather not change all my documents to .doc format (there's no option I can see to do docx for 2013 in Word 2016) because of some formatting issues in them. I really could use your help.

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Allison Sep 28, 2015

I'm afraid I haven't found a fix yet, but I did a bit of research with SDL and I found a Twitter post that may partially answer the query: https://twitter.com/BrockmannDaniel/status/646612436741693440

Basically, we might have to wait a couple of weeks for a Trados update. I'm just hoping that they also fix the problem for earlier versions of Studio. You may find
... See more
I'm afraid I haven't found a fix yet, but I did a bit of research with SDL and I found a Twitter post that may partially answer the query: https://twitter.com/BrockmannDaniel/status/646612436741693440

Basically, we might have to wait a couple of weeks for a Trados update. I'm just hoping that they also fix the problem for earlier versions of Studio. You may find that your only option for now is to use the 2003 doc format, because you're right that there's no way to save to a different docx format from Word 2016.
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:29
German to English
+ ...
Filter problem Sep 30, 2015

I'm guessing there is no actual difference in the format itself, but files are marked in some way as coming from Word 2016 and are therefore not recognised by the existing filter.

Presumably, this will not work until SDL releases an update.

watwinc
watwinc
German to English
Workaround for pre-scan failure with Office 2016 Oct 2, 2015

You may share my experience with updating to Office 2016 in Windows 10, which is that the apps didn’t appear automatically in “All Apps” - I had to add them manually to my Taskbar. The advantage is that Microsoft Office 2010 is still shown in “All Apps”, so I can work on the .docx file in Word 2010, save it as a (2010) .docx file and pre-scan it happily.
Of course, if your original is Office 2016, you’re still reduced to saving it as a .doc file ….

Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Saving as 97-2003 doc or a .doc did not solve the issue for me Oct 7, 2015

Any tips?

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Noha Oct 7, 2015

I'm afraid there doesn't seem to be any other workaround as yet. It seems that anyone using Studio 2015 might be in luck because they have a new file type that recognizes all new types of Office file. Older versions of Studio do not have this and we're just hoping that SDL release an update soon.
That said, I'm surprised saving as .doc doesn't work for you. I've had problems with Excel files, but doc files seem to be ok.

Karolina Kogut
Karolina Kogut
Poland
Local time: 02:29
Polish to English
+ ...
We need to buy a new version Oct 8, 2015

Here's the answer: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/292177-office_2016_and_studio_2015.html

I'm afraid we all need to purchase a new version, since Microsoft will probably soon force the update to Office 2016. I hate such politics

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rollback to 2013 available Oct 9, 2015

Just in case anyone is still following this post, MS has recently added the option to roll back to Office 2013 from your Office account screen. I decided to do this to retain compatibility with Studio 2011.

Let me know if you want any extra details.

Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
German to English
Just in case anyone is still following this post, Nov 16, 2015

Just updated to 2016 Rob and I have a issue with Excel, but similar to your Word issue.

How does the roll-back work?

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Conor Nov 16, 2015

Are you running Office 365 Personal or Business?

If Personal edition, you need to log in to your account online at www.office.com.
Once signed in, go to your My Account page.
From there, click the Install button.
Then find and click "Language and install options"
On the next page, find "Additional install options" near the bottom. Click that.
At the bottom of that page,
... See more
Are you running Office 365 Personal or Business?

If Personal edition, you need to log in to your account online at www.office.com.
Once signed in, go to your My Account page.
From there, click the Install button.
Then find and click "Language and install options"
On the next page, find "Additional install options" near the bottom. Click that.
At the bottom of that page, you'll see Other versions of office and you can select Office 2013 from the dropdown.

There's another process for the Business edition, but you'll need to do a Google search for that one. I don't have the Business edition.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
German to English
@Rob Nov 16, 2015

Perfect Rob! Saved me loads of time!! Thanks so very much.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Effective Workaround Dec 6, 2015

I use Studio 2014. Here is a workaround without rolling back to 2013.

The idea is to edit the document properties itself so that Studio thinks the document belongs to Office 2013. The following steps work for Word and Excel, the example uses a Word file called "example.docx":

** You need to have WinZip or a similar app that can open Zip archive files

1. Change the filename from "example.docx" to "example.docx.zipx"

2. Use WinZip to open the fi
... See more
I use Studio 2014. Here is a workaround without rolling back to 2013.

The idea is to edit the document properties itself so that Studio thinks the document belongs to Office 2013. The following steps work for Word and Excel, the example uses a Word file called "example.docx":

** You need to have WinZip or a similar app that can open Zip archive files

1. Change the filename from "example.docx" to "example.docx.zipx"

2. Use WinZip to open the file "example.docx.zipx"

3. Inside the WinZip window, double-click the folder named "docProps".
-- WinZip displays 2 xml files (app.xml and core.xml)

4. Right-click the xml file "app.xml" and select "Open with>Notepad" (or any xml editor)
-- Notepad opens the xml file

5. Look for the following tag at the end of the file:

<AppVersion>16.0000</AppVersion> (16.0300 for Excel)

6. Change the version to 15.0000 (or for Excel 15.0300), then save and close Notepad.
**Important: When WinZip asks, make sure you choose "Update Zip file with changes".

8. Save and close WinZip.

9. Change the filename back to "example.docx"

You can now use the file in Studio.

[Edited at 2015-12-06 20:37 GMT]
Collapse

Rob Latchford
Rob Latchford
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Alaa Dec 8, 2015

Thank you for posting that. I've not tried it, but it's good to know about if ever I need to use it. The problem is that it looks like quite a lot of work to do for every Office file and I work with several Office files per day. The easiest solution for me is still to use Office 2013.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
It's simpler than it looks Dec 8, 2015

Rob Latchford wrote:

Thank you for posting that. I've not tried it, but it's good to know about if ever I need to use it. The problem is that it looks like quite a lot of work to do for every Office file and I work with several Office files per day. The easiest solution for me is still to use Office 2013.

Actually, the work is simpler that it looks. I just broke it down to several steps to avoid any ambiguity. It's OK if you have up to 3 files in your project.

I will probably also revert to 2013. However, this solution is helpful when someone has a tight schedule and when about to start, realizes the problem.

[Edited at 2015-12-08 20:24 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-scanning fails for Office 2016 docx files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »