Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
The humble but important profile tagline
Thread poster: Enrique Manzo
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:18
SITE FOUNDER
It will become possible to search by tagline Nov 16, 2017

At some point we will make it possible to search by keywords in taglines. (We have found it useful to do that for internal purposes, like building Pools.) You may or may not want to take this into consideration when writing your taglines.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:18
Russian to English
Meaning Nov 16, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Alistair Gainey wrote:

The Russian tagline in the OP doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Would you perhaps care to enlighten us ignoramuses who don't speak Russian? It can't be copied and pasted into Google Translate.

[Edited at 2017-11-16 14:47 GMT]

What it means is the same as the other three languages, but there's a typo in the first word and the abbreviation at the end is wrong.

Fetra Odilson
Fetra Odilson  Identity Verified
Madagascar
Local time: 01:18
English to French
+ ...
100% Nov 17, 2017

Great feature! Thanks ProZ.com!

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thank you Nov 18, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:

R Farhat wrote:

Hello,

My tagline no longer appears when searching the directory. I had tried to edit it and to add it in another language but it disappeared altogether. So, I've put it back as before and hit 'enter' to save. It saves but doesn't show in the general en-ar directory any more! https://www.proz.com/english-to-arabic-translators

[Edited at 2017-11-16 08:14 GMT]

Thanks for reporting this issue. It should now be fixed with your tagline showing in the general en-ar directory.

Brilliant! Thank you, Kevin.

Randa

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:18
English to Italian
What's new? Nov 18, 2017

By reading some of the posts in this thread, it sounds as if this is a new feature, so maybe I'm missing something here, but is there actually anything new, aside for the fact the tagline is now an "encouraged" field (and its makeover)? I already had a tagline in two languages, so, what's new?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Mine won't work Nov 19, 2017

I had one before, and I made it bilingual.

Seeing I can now have each language separately, I tried to put the French in the second field but after clicking to save the changes, it still looks the same as before! Rather weird.

Enrique Manzo
Enrique Manzo
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
You have entered only one tagline Nov 21, 2017

Texte Style wrote:

Seeing I can now have each language separately, I tried to put the French in the second field but after clicking to save the changes, it still looks the same as before! Rather weird.

Hello there,

I see that the current text in your tagline is Translating flair/Traduire avec panache. This means that you have included an English text and a French text in the same tagline. What this new feature allows you to do now is create two taglines in different languages.

How does it work?

Just open the Personalization section of your Profile Updater and go to My tagline(s) in this section. Here you will see your current tagline (or taglines if you have set more than one) and a field that reads Click to enter a tagline in another language. Type your new tagline there and select the language from the drop-down list on the left.

In the example above, when a person using ProZ.com in Spanish visits my profile, they will see my tagline in Spanish. This way I can create multiple taglines and and target them for people using ProZ.com in different languages.

In a nutshell what you should do to use the new feature correctly is remove the French text from your current tagline and use this text in a separate tagline (remember to choose French as the tagline language).

I think it would be a good idea to be able to access this section of the Profile Updater directly from the "pencil" icon that appears right next to your tagline.

Thank you for your feedback and let me know if you have further doubts!

Enrique Manzo
ProZ.com Staff

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Default language? Nov 21, 2017

There is a tiny bit of information missing in all this: which tagline language is the default if the translator does not have a tagline in the reader's language? English?

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Profile>Settings Nov 21, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

There is a tiny bit of information missing in all this: which tagline language is the default if the translator does not have a tagline in the reader's language? English?

Check Settings>Localize your content on your profile. There you'll see whai is defined as "default" and the other additional languages. BTW, that's where this "new feature" was before it was moved elsewhere (hence the reason why I asked why it's being referred to as a "new feature" and if there actually was something else new to it...).

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
English is default, it says Nov 21, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Check Settings>Localize your content on your profile. There you'll see whai is defined as "default" and the other additional languages. BTW, that's where this "new feature" was before it was moved elsewhere (hence the reason why I asked why it's being referred to as a "new feature" and if there actually was something else new to it...).

It says: "Note that English version will not require localization as it is the default language," which is fine with me. I suppose this applies to the tagline too, even though it doesn't say so explicitly, and even though the tagline is edited on another page.

The information about default tagline language ought to be on the page where the tagline is edited.

Something should be done about the colours here, by the way:

Capture

devalexwhite
devalexwhite
United States
Local time: 18:18
English to Chinese
Default language Nov 21, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Hi Thomas,

In this case the default will be the English tagline. If an English tagline is not available, the first available tagline associated with the translator's profile will be used (regardless of language).

Best,

Alex White

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I tried that! Nov 22, 2017

Enrique Manzo wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

Hello there,

I see that the current text in your tagline is Translating flair/Traduire avec panache. This means that you have included an English text and a French text in the same tagline. What this new feature allows you to do now is create two taglines in different languages.

How does it work?

Just open the Personalization section of your Profile Updater and go to My tagline(s) in this section. Here you will see your current tagline (or taglines if you have set more than one) and a field that reads Click to enter a tagline in another language. Type your new tagline there and select the language from the drop-down list on the left.

In the example above, when a person using ProZ.com in Spanish visits my profile, they will see my tagline in Spanish. This way I can create multiple taglines and and target them for people using ProZ.com in different languages.

In a nutshell what you should do to use the new feature correctly is remove the French text from your current tagline and use this text in a separate tagline (remember to choose French as the tagline language).

I think it would be a good idea to be able to access this section of the Profile Updater directly from the "pencil" icon that appears right next to your tagline.

Thank you for your feedback and let me know if you have further doubts!

Enrique Manzo
ProZ.com Staff

The reason why I posted was to say that what you're suggesting didn't work for me.
As I said in the beginning, I had a bilingual tagline before.
On reading this topic, I followed the link just as you specified, and I put an all-English tagline in the English field and the French equivalent in the second field, just as you explained above. Then I scrolled down to click on Save, came back and found nothing had changed.

However, reading further in this topic, I see that someone accessing the site in French will only see my French tagline, and someone accessing the site in English will only see the English tagline.
The whole point of my bilingual tagline is to show that I don't translate word for word, so I'll just leave it at that. I would have preferred to have a few more characters to have my complete English tagline as on my business card, but never mind. It's not as if I have ever looked for work on Proz.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 07:18
Tagline search Nov 24, 2017

It is now possible to search and filter taglines.

It is anticipated that some may use this tool to search for service providers by their tagline, while others may use it for inspiration to create their own tagline.

If you see a tagline that is particularly well written be sure to click the thumbs up icon.... See more
It is now possible to search and filter taglines.

It is anticipated that some may use this tool to search for service providers by their tagline, while others may use it for inspiration to create their own tagline.

If you see a tagline that is particularly well written be sure to click the thumbs up icon.

Search ProZ.com profile taglines →
Collapse

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 07:18
Saving taglines Nov 24, 2017

Texte Style wrote:
Then I scrolled down to click on Save, came back and found nothing had changed.

Hi Texte Style,

Sorry to hear you had trouble saving your taglines. The new taglines are saved by pressing enter on your keyboard after typing in your tagline (not by the button at the bottom of the page). The interface has been updated to make this more explicit.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
Alas, the same here Nov 24, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:

Texte Style wrote:
Then I scrolled down to click on Save, came back and found nothing had changed.

Hi Texte Style,

Sorry to hear you had trouble saving your taglines. The new taglines are saved by pressing enter on your keyboard after typing in your tagline (not by the button at the bottom of the page). The interface has been updated to make this more explicit.

I typed in three new taglines and saved them by pressing "Enter" without "Save" and nothing changed:( Seems some bug is present.

[Edited at 2017-11-24 06:30 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The humble but important profile tagline

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »