In a plain text source file, can I prevent visible text from translation?
Thread poster: HermannHild
Jan 23, 2018

Hello,

I have a plain ascii text file. It contains phrases to be translated, but also comments and a keyword for each phrase, which should not be translated. Filtering the source file wouldn't help, because I need these keywords in the output, and it would be helpful to see the additional text the source file.

Is there a way to have visible text in the source file which will not be translated, but still exported to the output files? It would suffice if this worked on a
... See more
Hello,

I have a plain ascii text file. It contains phrases to be translated, but also comments and a keyword for each phrase, which should not be translated. Filtering the source file wouldn't help, because I need these keywords in the output, and it would be helpful to see the additional text the source file.

Is there a way to have visible text in the source file which will not be translated, but still exported to the output files? It would suffice if this worked on a line-by-line basis ...

Thanks alot,
Hermann
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No… Jan 24, 2018

A plain-text file is a plain-text file. OmegaT just reads it all. Unless you manage to write a specific import filter or to define user tags, you can’t prevent any text appearing in the editor pane. However, what’s the reason? Just don’t translate what you don’t want to translate.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:51
English to French
+ ...
You cannot filter text files, but you can use custom tags Jan 24, 2018

HermannHild wrote:

Is there a way to have visible text in the source file which will not be translated, but still exported to the output files? It would suffice if this worked on a line-by-line basis ...

You cannot filter text files, but, if the text that is not to be translated can be identified with a regular expression, you can use custom tags. That way, the untranslatable text is greyed out and cannot be overwritten. It can also be excluded from statistics.

Didier

HermannHild
HermannHild
TOPIC STARTER
Custom tags helped to ease handling of untranslatable context information Jan 24, 2018

Thanks for your hints, Didier and esperantisto! I managed to define the untranslatable context information as custom tags - works nicely, these texts are now grayed out and cannot be edited.

Only minor inconvenience: Although all these segments are now empty (in the sense that they contain no translatable text, but only the custom tag), I still can and have to step through all of them to mark them as translated. And I have to use the "translated text can match source text" feature,
... See more
Thanks for your hints, Didier and esperantisto! I managed to define the untranslatable context information as custom tags - works nicely, these texts are now grayed out and cannot be edited.

Only minor inconvenience: Although all these segments are now empty (in the sense that they contain no translatable text, but only the custom tag), I still can and have to step through all of them to mark them as translated. And I have to use the "translated text can match source text" feature, which I otherwise wouldn't want to do.

But that is ok. The clearer layout and the fact that I cannot accidentially modify the context information is already a great improvement.

Thanks for your help,
Hermann
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:51
English to French
+ ...
You can mark segments translated one by one Jan 25, 2018

HermannHild wrote:

Only minor inconvenience: Although all these segments are now empty (in the sense that they contain no translatable text, but only the custom tag), I still can and have to step through all of them to mark them as translated. And I have to use the "translated text can match source text" feature, which I otherwise wouldn't want to do.

Instead of activating that feature, you can mark them translated individually by using Edit > Register Identical Translation.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

In a plain text source file, can I prevent visible text from translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »