Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
Local time: 22:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 13, 2018

Hi there,

How long should it take to review an audio minute? And how much should I charge per reviewed audio minute?

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charge hourly Dec 13, 2018

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

Hi there,

How long should it take to review an audio minute? And how much should I charge per reviewed audio minute?

Transcribing one audio minute takes an average of 6 minutes so 10 minutes of audio takes an hour to transcribe. I would say reviewing the same minutes takes less time than it does to transcribe, depending on language and audio quality so maybe 2 or 3 minutes of review per audio minute.

Nevertheless, this is a service that should be charged hourly. I encountered a situation like this where I ended up quoting by the audio minutes, but the transcription translation was done by a non-native speaker, and took a lot more editing than I anticipated. I touched base with the PM and he agreed to change the terms and let me charge per hour reviewed vs by the audio minute.

Sheila Wilson
Sylvia Hanna

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It depends on so many factors Dec 13, 2018

Darwin Escobar wrote:

Transcribing one audio minute takes an average of 6 minutes so 10 minutes of audio takes an hour to transcribe. I would say reviewing the same minutes takes less time than it does to transcribe, depending on language and audio quality so maybe 2 or 3 minutes of review per audio minute.

Nevertheless, this is a service that should be charged hourly.[/quote]
I certainly agree that charging per hour of your time is the best way. But if the client won't accept that, then the above is a ball-park per-audio-minute figure that works for me.

However, always reserve the right to change your quote once you've seen/heard the job. It may be light or heavy in terms of number of words. The fewer words there are, the less rewinding and re-listening you'll need to do. If the words come out in lumps or two people talk over each other then you'll need to do quite a bit of back-tracking. Also, sample the audio at random intervals to make sure that the sound quality is both good and consistent. And then, it also depends very much on how good the transcription is. If it's already mainly accurate, complete, correctly punctuated, spell-checked etc., then you'll have far less work to do.

DarwinE
Sylvia Hanna

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I though you need to describe the task more specifically Dec 13, 2018

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

Hi there,

What would "reviewing an audio minute" be involved? It could mean just listening to a recorded tape and making sure everything has been recorded correctly, or reviewing the script transcribed by someone else from the audio tape. The time you may need to spend would differ substantially, depending what the client really wanted you to do.

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
Local time: 22:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Requirements Jan 27, 2019

jyuan_us wrote:

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

Hi there,

What would "reviewing an audio minute" be involved? It could mean just listening to a recorded tape and making sure everything has been recorded correctly, or reviewing the script transcribed by someone else from the audio tape. The time you may need to spend would differ substantially, depending what the client really wanted you to do.

I get a script, that's supposedly perfect, and an audio. I am requested to review the audio against the script and mark the mistakes of the audio on the script, by pointing out the minute/second, mistake, and what should be done.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Review Rate Per Finished Audio Minute

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »