Nov 17, 2017

[Edited at 2017-11-17 19:34 GMT]

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 09:23
Russian to English
+ ...
Without going into much detail, you probably are Nov 17, 2017

For one thing, the bill is not maliciously targeting translators alone. Second, no one can disallow legitimate business expenses - not without turning the entire system on its head, which is not what they are doing here. Finally, as I am sure you know, the picture may be and (generally is) so different in each individual situation that it makes little sense to make any predictions about the "general case". There is no general case.

Relax, the sky is not falling.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
QED Nov 17, 2017

Thanks for doing the maths

Well, apart from removing "I hope I am wrong about this", there is nothing to change to your demonstration.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will the new U.S. tax plan cost translators thousands per year? Nov 17, 2017

Darn, I was hoping the fact I am on cold medicine was making me hallucinate...

JL01 wrote:

Thanks for doing the maths

Well, apart from removing "I hope I am wrong about this", there is nothing to change to your demonstration.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably not wrong about it ... Nov 17, 2017

... it's been all over the news for the last couple of days. Big daddies pay less, middle class pay more. Was it ever any different? Just asking.

Of course, it could all just be "fake news". One man in particular has been known to say there's a lot of it about.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:23
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Useful article on the topic for freelancers Nov 30, 2017

Although the original post is no longer visible, I would like to share this link to a recent article on the topic, as this may become a real concern for us, US-based freelancers. I hope some of you will find it useful:

What freelancers need to know about the new tax bills
By Nathan Bransford
Nov 21, 2017

The House and Senate tax bills could have a major impact
... See more
Although the original post is no longer visible, I would like to share this link to a recent article on the topic, as this may become a real concern for us, US-based freelancers. I hope some of you will find it useful:

What freelancers need to know about the new tax bills
By Nathan Bransford
Nov 21, 2017

The House and Senate tax bills could have a major impact on freelancers’ finances.

https://blog.freelancersunion.org/2017/11/21/what-freelancers-need-to-know-about-the-new-tax-bills/
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »