Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 12:02
Member (2011)
English to German
Audio Transcription Aug 2, 2011

Kai Döring wrote:

I received a request for a movie translation from German to English. It is for a whole length movie (estimated 1h30min). He mentioned to me that they normally pay 50U$ per movie hour.
\

Kai, I can really understand your situation. Today I received the following offer:

“Depending on your transcription speed, it takes about 5 hours to transcribe one hour of audio. We are offering $40 USD/ audio hour.”

Who can live as a Freelance Translator on an hourly pay of only 8$?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Amazing. Aug 2, 2011

A few months ago I translated a 1 hour video from English into German.

- The job came from a US translation agency
- Lip-sync dubbing
- I received a perfectly prepared script
- I delivered the translated script as a Word file
- I viewed the 60 minute video after production to check for mistakes

It paid about US $ 1,600, viewing and quality check included.

Heidee (X)
Heidee (X)
Local time: 17:02
English to Italian
+ ...
My answer Aug 2, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
Kai, I can really understand your situation. Today I received the following offer:

“Depending on your transcription speed, it takes about 5 hours to transcribe one hour of audio. We are offering $40 USD/ audio hour.”

Who can live as a Freelance Translator on an hourly pay of only 8$?

Hi Marina,
I received the same offer and here's what I answered:
"Dear XXX, Thanks for contacting me. Unfortunately I cannot accept your offer of 40 USD per audio hour because it is much below my standard rates. Best regards".

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Maddening. Aug 2, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A few months ago I translated a 1 hour video from English into German.

Good for you! Well, the job I was referring to did not include translation services.

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The job came from a US translation agency.

Mine too.

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It paid about US $ 1,600, viewing and quality check included.

I offered them US $ 150 per audio hour (I normally take US $ 30 for editing). Looking at your pay, I think I should have asked for more?!

BTW (not that I’m nosey!): How many people from the UK have in the meantime accepted your offer to visit your guest room in the US?

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Standard Rates Aug 2, 2011

Francesca Di Concetto wrote:

I received the same offer (…)

Strange that you’ve received the same offer, because in my case the company was looking for German transcriptionists . You’re from Italy, right?

Francesca Di Concetto wrote:

(…) and here's what I answered: "Dear XXX, Thanks for contacting me. Unfortunately I cannot accept your offer of 40 USD per audio hour because it is much below my standard rates. Best regards".

My answer was about the same. Well, I did also wish them lots of luck for their project…

Claudia VT
Claudia VT
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translating videos Mar 21, 2018

Hi everybody!
I was asked for a quotation for the translation of videos (transcript will be sent to me) but I also have to quote segmentation and timing...
How do you quote this? (translation + segmentation + timing).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quote for movie translation?!?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »