What do you think about DeepL?
Thread poster: kakapo77
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 21:53
Spiegel online Sep 17, 2017

http://m.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/a-1167147.html

Auch in unserem Test hinterließ DeepL insgesamt einen guten Eindruck. Allerding hakt es auch bei DeepL noch an manchen Stellen, einige Übersetzungen waren sprachlich oder grammatikalisch fehlerhaft. Insgesamt überzeugt der Onlinedienst aber mit der richtigen Konjugation von Verben und stimmigen Satzkonstellationen.

... See more

Auch in unserem Test hinterließ DeepL insgesamt einen guten Eindruck. Allerding hakt es auch bei DeepL noch an manchen Stellen, einige Übersetzungen waren sprachlich oder grammatikalisch fehlerhaft. Insgesamt überzeugt der Onlinedienst aber mit der richtigen Konjugation von Verben und stimmigen Satzkonstellationen.

DeepL also made a good impression in our test. However, DeepL still has problems with some of the translations, some translations were linguistically or grammatically incorrect. All in all, however, the online service convinces with the correct conjugation of verbs and harmonious sentence constellations.

[Edited at 2017-09-17 06:31 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Contextual translation Sep 17, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

DeepL also made a good impression in our test. However, DeepL still has problems with some of the translations, some translations were linguistically or grammatically incorrect. All in all, however, the online service convinces with the correct conjugation of verbs and harmonious sentence constellations.

Nice catch: "Allerding hakt es auch bei DeepL noch an manchen Stellen" -> "However, DeepL still has problems with some of the translations"

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:53
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Translation quality Sep 17, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

"All in all, however, the online service convinces with the correct conjugation of verbs and harmonious sentence constellations."

With sentences like this, the only translators MT will be replacing are those at the bottom of the market.

Maurice Koopman
Maurice Koopman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
You dont use translation software Sep 20, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Maurice Koopman wrote:

It will learn

Not if we don't help it.

😜

If I were on the board of Kilgray or SDL, first thing I would do is call DeepL: hi how you're doin'? How about combining our efforts? The reverse works as well.

[Edited at 2017-09-20 15:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-20 15:22 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Want to have some fun with DeepL? Sep 20, 2017

DeepL seems to have some surprises in store. This must be probably because of the particular technique how the translations are imitated. Try this: enter

****************************************************************************************************

into the input field. I'm receiving the funniest German translations. (You can influence the output a little, if you change the "detected" source language to English, French, or Spanish).

If you change the
... See more
DeepL seems to have some surprises in store. This must be probably because of the particular technique how the translations are imitated. Try this: enter

****************************************************************************************************

into the input field. I'm receiving the funniest German translations. (You can influence the output a little, if you change the "detected" source language to English, French, or Spanish).

If you change the number of asterisks, you can get different results (try ****************).

Other examples: try to translate _______________ from English to German. (Works not always, write an English word below to force it)

You can use DeepL as a helper, but you have to be very careful and look for unexpected results ...
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
ìììììììììì Sep 21, 2017

ìììììììììì (Italian to English) gives "victim" ????

kakapo77
kakapo77  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right, but think about profile portability for instance Sep 21, 2017

Phyllis Elago wrote:

Hello Phyllis,
Well, the trend that you can observe in countries such as the US is towards unionisation of freelancers. The idea is to overcome the present distinction between who is employee and who is not. Just look at Uber to see which kind of debate is going on.
It is true that each single translator is unique, but is this enough today in terms of marketing? Anyway, you raised a very good point about the structure of the market of translation. It deserves much deeper reflection.
Have a nice day,
Marco

I don't know much about what it is like to work as a translator in the US. In Europe at least, I don't have the impression that translators feel a need to unionise. I personally would not compare a translator to an Uber driver though. Also, there are many independent consultants/experts working very successfully, etc. I don't think translation is special. I do think developing your skills in the right way and marketing in the right way are very key though. For example, there are photographers making 6 figures a year and there are photographers who make much less. Same for real estate agents, etc. So long as they don't establish a business with systems, they are independent in the same way translators are. The problem is not real estate or photography, etc.

Hello Phyllis,

I am not thinking to traditional unions. It would not make sense. But from a broader perspective we could imagine different ways to help freelancers. I am referring to issues such as, say, the portabiliy of an Upwork profile to another platform.

This is a frequently discussed topic, because the network effect related to freelancing sites is becoming too important. Thanks for your answer and have a nice day,

Marco

Tommaso Martelli
Tommaso Martelli  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
How? Oct 11, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Maurice Koopman wrote:

It will learn

Not if we don't help it.

😜

How would we -users- be helping DeepL?

How does the MT "learn"? I hope not just by using it.
I mean, if one uses DeepL without making any corrections in the translation, is he/she helping the tool learning?

It may be a silly question, but I'd really like to know more about it.

Tommaso

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
GT does have that option Oct 11, 2017

Tommaso Martelli wrote:

I mean, if one uses DeepL without making any corrections in the translation, is he/she helping the tool learning?

I think they still don't have this feature on DeepL, but GT does. Just try translating something there and look at the small grey checkmark icon beside the translation itself and the link on the lower right corner of the translation window.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
You'll have to take action to send a modified translation to Google Translate Nov 16, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Tommaso Martelli wrote:

I think they still don't have this feature on DeepL, but GT does. Just try translating something there and look at the small grey checkmark icon beside the translation itself and the link on the lower right corner of the translation window.

As far as I know, you'll have to take action to send a modified translation to Google Translate: by clicking the keyboard icon.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 20.45.30

BTW: Things are changing at DeepL. They have a new logo since this afternoon and sending and retrieving from CafeTran doesn't work anymore (at least not on my mac ).

[Edited at 2017-11-16 19:50 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Not for free Nov 16, 2017

Hans wrote: "BTW: Things are changing at DeepL. They have a new logo since this afternoon and sending and retrieving from CafeTran doesn't work anymore (at least not on my mac)"

At the end they want to see money for their product. Mark my words!

[Edited at 2017-11-16 19:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-16 19:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-17 09:02 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
But don't Nov 17, 2017

Hans Lenting wrote:

...you have to take action to send a modified translation to Google Translate: by clicking the keyboard icon.

- which, of course, you should never do.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Indeed Nov 17, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

...you have to take action to send a modified translation to Google Translate: by clicking the keyboard icon.

- which, of course, you should never do.

Of course Tom. That’s what I meant.

BTW: CafeTran’s integration of DeepL is working again. With today’s build.

Michael Mangelsdorf
Michael Mangelsdorf  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
DeepL will be assessed by what it does well Dec 8, 2017

...rather than by marginal cases that produce funny results. Also, do remember that 'quality' is a moving target - it has to do with readers' expectations as soon as you enter the realm of the consumer (90% of the translation market?), and this may not work to our favour.

I've posted th
... See more
...rather than by marginal cases that produce funny results. Also, do remember that 'quality' is a moving target - it has to do with readers' expectations as soon as you enter the realm of the consumer (90% of the translation market?), and this may not work to our favour.

I've posted this link to another thread on DeepL: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16741106/deepmind-ai-chess-alphazero-shogi-go

One must not underestimate recent iterations of neural networks. When you have read 100 printer manuals, you know how to translate them - only DeepL does is quicker, too... And I have a glum feeling that the same goes to any kind of human verbal interaction...
Collapse

Monika Roehl
Monika Roehl  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
PROBLEMS with the company selling DeepL (Linguee) and the program itself ! Nov 7, 2018

I ordered the cost-free trial version for one month, then noticed that Linguee debited 29.99 euros off my credit card. I called the phone number under their "Impressum". A machine answered, prompting me to leave a message after the tone. After the tone, the phone was disconnected. I tried two more times, same thing, so no accident, but rather intent on their part. I then sent an email 3 days ago, still haven't received a response aside from a confirmation of receipt. In addition, automatic pretr... See more
I ordered the cost-free trial version for one month, then noticed that Linguee debited 29.99 euros off my credit card. I called the phone number under their "Impressum". A machine answered, prompting me to leave a message after the tone. After the tone, the phone was disconnected. I tried two more times, same thing, so no accident, but rather intent on their part. I then sent an email 3 days ago, still haven't received a response aside from a confirmation of receipt. In addition, automatic pretranslation with DeepL does NOT work in MemoQ. Only translation suggestions while translating. I will look for a different machine translation solution.Collapse

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about DeepL?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »