Is there a market to translate from SEA languages?
Thread poster: Macià Planas
Macià Planas
Macià Planas
Local time: 16:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2018

I'm at a "crossroads in my life" where I have an Intermediate level of Vietnamese and I need to decide whether to invest time and money to reach an advanced level to be able to translate from Vietnamese into Spanish/Catalan or forget about it. My current level allows me to travel and talk to my Vietnamese friends but I do not have the proficiency to translate from it. It would take me some years to reach that level.

I am not planning to get rich with it but I don't want to spend all
... See more
I'm at a "crossroads in my life" where I have an Intermediate level of Vietnamese and I need to decide whether to invest time and money to reach an advanced level to be able to translate from Vietnamese into Spanish/Catalan or forget about it. My current level allows me to travel and talk to my Vietnamese friends but I do not have the proficiency to translate from it. It would take me some years to reach that level.

I am not planning to get rich with it but I don't want to spend all this time and effort for nothing, so I wanted to know to what extent there is a market to translate from South East Asian languages. I would also like to know what type of documents are the most common in such language pairs.

Although in my case it's Vietnamese, I am happy to hear experiences with other SEA languages such as Thai, Malay and Indonesian, and into other large European languages like German, French, Italian and Portuguese.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 16:16
Japanese to English
There certainly is Feb 20, 2018

Perhaps it's not my story to tell, but you might find this past thread interesting: https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/322225-reflections_on_2017_my_first_us_100000_year_from_translation.html

There's a market for Vietnamese-English, I know that much. Vietnamese-Spanish/Catalan? I'll leave it th
... See more
Perhaps it's not my story to tell, but you might find this past thread interesting: https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/322225-reflections_on_2017_my_first_us_100000_year_from_translation.html

There's a market for Vietnamese-English, I know that much. Vietnamese-Spanish/Catalan? I'll leave it that the experts in the field to tell us.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a market to translate from SEA languages?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »