Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
Italian to English
Aug 3, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I should like to introduce myself as the first moderator of this new forum.

I hope UK based site users will find it useful but do please regard it only as an additional resource rather than a compulsory one for UK topics; there are many examples of apparently UK issues receiving valuable advice in other fora both from UK natives abroad and from others with UK experience (who will also, of course, be very welcome here).

I hope I can assis
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I should like to introduce myself as the first moderator of this new forum.

I hope UK based site users will find it useful but do please regard it only as an additional resource rather than a compulsory one for UK topics; there are many examples of apparently UK issues receiving valuable advice in other fora both from UK natives abroad and from others with UK experience (who will also, of course, be very welcome here).

I hope I can assist site users in getting the most out of this new forum and maintaining the positive, constructive atmosphere of the site. Do feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns, by e-mail or Skype, via the link on this page or through my profile page.

Russell Jones
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Thanks! Aug 3, 2009

Hi Russell,

Thanks for taking this on!

Best,

Karen

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:55
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Wonderful! Aug 3, 2009

Hello Russell,

it's a pleasure to see a gentleman like you become a forum moderator

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-08-03 18:58 GMT]

Elena Fiori
Elena Fiori
English to Italian
+ ...
Wowow Aug 7, 2009

Hi Russel,

nice to meet you....

It is great, we have a forum for Uk discussions!

Thanks.

Elena

Alice Carbone (X)
Alice Carbone (X)
United States
Local time: 12:55
English to Italian
+ ...
moving to London Aug 10, 2009

Hi Russel,
I'm Alice, nice to meet you.
I am an Italian freelance translator and interpreter and I am moving back to London in October.
Any advice on how to be a freelance in the Uk?

Thank you in advance and nice to meet you all by the way

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
"Getting established" Aug 10, 2009

Alice Carbone wrote:
Any advice on how to be a freelance in the Uk?

I suggest having a look at the forum "getting established". There have been discussions there about freelancing, taxation and self-employment in the UK (try an Advanced forum search of that forum using words like those) - it involves less bureaucracy than in some other countries.
Oliver

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:55
English to German
+ ...
Interesting Aug 11, 2009

Hi Russell,

It's good to hear about that new forum! It's also very interesting for me as an English into German translator who regularly works with UK-companies.

I will be looking into it regularly in order to see what's going on in the UK and wish you good success!

Annett

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Thanks for taking this on, Russell Aug 11, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Hi Russell Aug 11, 2009

great idea!

G

Babak Kouravand DPSI (Court Interpreter)
Babak Kouravand DPSI (Court Interpreter)
United Kingdom
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
:) Aug 11, 2009

Hi Russel,

Thanks for taking this on.

Babak

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Welcome Aug 14, 2009

Just back from a week's holiday.
Karen and Giuliana: thank you for your best wishes.
Elena: Welcome to ProZ.com. I am sure, as a translator, you will find it useful - indispensable in fact.
Alice: Welcome to the UK. Oliver's advice is the right first step. By all means post more detailed questions here if you have any doubts. I saw your post in the Italian forum and my quick comment is: don't assume you must be registered for VAT; most of us do not earn enough for it to be
... See more
Just back from a week's holiday.
Karen and Giuliana: thank you for your best wishes.
Elena: Welcome to ProZ.com. I am sure, as a translator, you will find it useful - indispensable in fact.
Alice: Welcome to the UK. Oliver's advice is the right first step. By all means post more detailed questions here if you have any doubts. I saw your post in the Italian forum and my quick comment is: don't assume you must be registered for VAT; most of us do not earn enough for it to be compulsory and the decision to register or not is usually a technical one. Feel free to contact me by e-mail through my profile page if you wish.
Oliver, Annett, Nikki, Giovanni and babak: Thanks for your contributions and encouragement.
Collapse

maxokoop
maxokoop
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
Exact question: any gathering for translators in west London? Jul 11, 2014

Do not know why the Qs&As not go on here after initiation by Mr. Russell Jones in 2009, hope more discussions (constructive as Russell expected ever) can be done here

One exact question: in London or especially to say in west London, any gathering or activity for translators to meet and talk in these months and days or years? i feel sometimes random gathering maybe interesting for any language pair, for example Chinese English is my pair with 29 years of experience.

Pre
... See more
Do not know why the Qs&As not go on here after initiation by Mr. Russell Jones in 2009, hope more discussions (constructive as Russell expected ever) can be done here

One exact question: in London or especially to say in west London, any gathering or activity for translators to meet and talk in these months and days or years? i feel sometimes random gathering maybe interesting for any language pair, for example Chinese English is my pair with 29 years of experience.

Presentation about such info shall be appreciated from anybody! your question also to be welcomed!
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Well done! Jul 11, 2014

It's great to have our own UK Forum ! Thanks Russell for taking this on.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

New Forum: Translation in the UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »