fuzzy match % for sentences that were shortened (a part of original sentence deleted)
Thread poster: Maxime Bujakov
Maxime Bujakov
Maxime Bujakov  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:30
French to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2017

Hello!

With all great capacities of new-generation Trados studios, I have been waiting for decades now for improvements in obvious cases of fuzzy matches.
Today's one is sentences that were shortened (a part of original sentence deleted). Usually, a sentence is shortened by deleting something in parentheses or some qualifying part.

From the translator efforts point of view, this is close to 99% match (just delete the relevant piece in the target language). Let's s
... See more
Hello!

With all great capacities of new-generation Trados studios, I have been waiting for decades now for improvements in obvious cases of fuzzy matches.
Today's one is sentences that were shortened (a part of original sentence deleted). Usually, a sentence is shortened by deleting something in parentheses or some qualifying part.

From the translator efforts point of view, this is close to 99% match (just delete the relevant piece in the target language). Let's say, 95%. And the Trados judges sometimes almost no match at all if a half-sentence is deleted.

Are you Trados guys aware of this? If so, for how many years ?
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:30
Member (2008)
English to French
Which version are you using? Jun 12, 2017

In Studio 2017, they have the TU fragment match that you can activate which does exactly what you're asking for (you need to update your memories first though - there's an UpLift plugin for that).

Maxime Bujakov
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jun 12, 2017

Thank you, the latest Trados version I know is 2014, but plugin stuff sounds a bit complicated...
I really hope Trados people would let me know whether this is deliberate or they just never thought about making fuzzy matches more up to the point... thanks guys!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Impact on % Jun 12, 2017

Arianne Farah wrote:

In Studio 2017, they have the TU fragment match that you can activate which does exactly what you're asking for (you need to update your memories first though - there's an UpLift plugin for that).

Does that have a direct impact on fuzzy percentages?

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Clarification Jun 12, 2017

Maxime Bujakov wrote:

From the translator efforts point of view, this is close to 99% match (just delete the relevant piece in the target language). Let's say, 95%. And the Trados judges sometimes almost no match at all if a half-sentence is deleted.

Not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that if you have two segments, like "The part that remains the same and the part that gets deleted" (but the order could be inverted) and "The part that remains the same", then the second one will be treated as a low match? If so, how is that a problem? Just lower the automatic lookup threshold. Additionally, sometimes it's not just as easy as in the mock sentence above, as you might have to change the modified sentence to make it sound OK by itself and adapt to the surrounding context (which might have changed as well).

Maxime Bujakov
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We have the % serving certain purposes Jun 12, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
Not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that if you have two segments, like "The part that remains the same and the part that gets deleted" (but the order could be inverted) and "The part that remains the same", then the second one will be treated as a low match?

Yes, I mean that.

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
If so, how is that a problem? Just lower the automatic lookup threshold.

We have the % serving certain purposes. Example: a good match is lost amid poor matches.
We also often limit some operations to high % fuzzy only. My good matches are not included then.

Trados guys, are you there?

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:30
Member (2008)
English to French
Completely separate Jun 12, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Arianne Farah wrote:

It's in a different window and has nothing to do with analysis - kind of like how the concordance search is separate from the translation results.

Basically if a sentence in the memory is ABCDEFGH and then you have a new segment that's DEFG, it's not enough of a match for the memory to pick it up, of course you would find it if you ran a concordance search, but you'd have to know what you're looking for and which strings to single out to search, Fragment matches will pull if up for you.

@Maxime - the plugin is just to update your old memories more quickly than what Studio does on its own; if you have small memories to update or start a new one from scratch, you won't need it.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Impact on analysis Jun 12, 2017

Maxime Bujakov wrote:

We have the % serving certain purposes. Example: a good match is lost amid poor matches.
We also often limit some operations to high % fuzzy only. My good matches are not included then.

Of course, but if they did what you're suggesting (raising the fuzzy % in similar cases), that would have a direct impact on weighted wordcounts (and that would be bad news for many translators).

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Thanks Jun 12, 2017

Arianne Farah wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Arianne Farah wrote:

It's in a different window and has nothing to do with analysis - kind of like how the concordance search is separate from the translation results.

Basically if a sentence in the memory is ABCDEFGH and then you have a new segment that's DEFG, it's not enough of a match for the memory to pick it up, of course you would find it if you ran a concordance search, but you'd have to know what you're looking for and which strings to single out to search, Fragment matches will pull if up for you.

Got it, thanks Arianne. I still haven't installed 2017 because of the many issues it had after launch, but this sounds like an interesting feature.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:30
English to Thai
+ ...
Definition of % Jun 12, 2017

The fuzzy matches % in Trados is an algorithm to calculate statistical hits of segments in question.
I just read the % only as guideline. Human judgment is essential to use this CAT efficiently.
If I cannot enjoy its %, I can recalculate the segment hits by using external algorithm e.g. codes in Visual Basic Language.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro
Bangkok

Maxime Bujakov
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We have the % serving certain purposes Jun 13, 2017

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

The fuzzy matches % in Trados is an algorithm to calculate statistical hits of segments in question.
I just read the % only as guideline. Human judgment is essential to use this CAT efficiently.
If I cannot enjoy its %, I can recalculate the segment hits by using external algorithm e.g. codes in Visual Basic Language.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro
Bangkok

thank you but I already answered:

Maxime Bujakov
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that would be bad news for many translators Jun 13, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Maxime Bujakov wrote:

Of course, but if they did what you're suggesting (raising the fuzzy % in similar cases), that would have a direct impact on weighted wordcounts (and that would be bad news for many translators).

I represent an agency

that said, I do not practice fuzzy reduction

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

fuzzy match % for sentences that were shortened (a part of original sentence deleted)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »