Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:50
German to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2017

I received this one today (not via ProZ, but perhaps of interest to ProZ members).

The Subject was "Welcoming speech";

The main part of the contents of the email said:
----- start of quote -------
We are looking for employees working remotely.

My name is Tina, I am the personnel manager of a large International company.
Most of the work you can do from home, that is, at a distance.
Salary is $2000-$5900.

If you are inter
... See more
I received this one today (not via ProZ, but perhaps of interest to ProZ members).

The Subject was "Welcoming speech";

We are looking for employees working remotely.

Salary is $2000-$5900.

If you are interested in this offer, please visit Our Site
----------- end of quote -------------

It did not name the company or its type of business; it appeared to come from an email address with the domain name:
cornerstonehealthcare.com

The hyperlink behind the words "Our Site" was
http://jiyuugaoka-yamadaclinic.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/

I looked at the header of the email and, judging from the "Received:" line containing the text "HELO" (with IP address 187.224.60.243), it was sent from Mexico. (I used http://en.utrace.de/ to discover this).

Oliver
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:50
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
The same scam has been bugging me for the past few months Feb 5, 2017

I get the same message with different subjet titled "Welcoming Speech" besides "Local Representatives", "Civilities" "Re: for CV", etc. The contents of the messages are exactly the same: "We are looking for employees working remotely...".

I know that these are all scams, but they keep sending me these junk mails and I wonder when they would stop.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:50
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It has been around for a while Feb 5, 2017

This scam has been circulating for a while. A classic case for File 13 (the bin).

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Kudos for the literary effort, though Feb 5, 2017

Oliver Walter wrote:
----------- end of quote -------------

Is this surrealism? Or a koan? How can I be at home and at a distance at the same time?

(Yes I know what they are trying to say, but just trying to visualize this makes me dizzy.)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Would never respond Feb 5, 2017

Oliver Walter wrote:

I never respond to people who don't know the difference between a comma and a full stop.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The text is always the same... Feb 5, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

This scam has been circulating for a while. A classic case for File 13 (the bin).

... except for the name of the person it is coming from.

https://www.google.pt/search?q="I%20am%20the%20personnel%20manager%20of%20a%20large%20International%20company"&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Bg2XWKTVAoWt8wfN77jYCQ

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Cloning? Feb 5, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

Is this surrealism? Or a koan? How can I be at home and at a distance at the same time?

(Yes I know what they are trying to say, but just trying to visualize this makes me dizzy.)

In our modern age this is quite simple. Be at one location and send your clone to the other. Thank you for the smile.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:50
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
These scammers must have become very desperate Feb 13, 2017

I believe that all the people who posted here got this scam mail in English, but yesterday, I received a machine-translated version in my native language of the same scam mail which has been around for a while.

I guess they're becoming desperate to get response or whatever they want from you. I'm quite sure that there are same mails going around in other languages too.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another similar one... Feb 17, 2017

today. Almost the same text but this time claiming to be from "Dee" and promising $2100-$5200. The "visit our site" of this one links to
http://timauto.net/administrator/components/com_users/views/users/
and the header's first IP address (5.75.205.230) is in Russia. The apparent "From:" address has the domain name glos-care.nhs.uk, presumably wanting me to t
... See more
today. Almost the same text but this time claiming to be from "Dee" and promising $2100-$5200. The "visit our site" of this one links to
http://timauto.net/administrator/components/com_users/views/users/
and the header's first IP address (5.75.205.230) is in Russia. The apparent "From:" address has the domain name glos-care.nhs.uk, presumably wanting me to think it's from somebody in the NHS (UK National Health Service).
Perhaps I should be pleased I receive these fairly infrequently. If it were every day, that would start to be a real nuisance and the email software that I use (Squirrelmail Webmail) can't be told to send it straight to Trash or my "Spam and phishing" folder because what they have in common is only some of the words within the email and I can't tell it to filter on the basis of something in the body of the emails.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An obvious scam, with Subject: Welcoming speech

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »