Calculating # of words I've translated when Excel doc was started by another person?(Details inside)
Thread poster: FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
United States
Local time: 14:43
Japanese to English
Jun 27, 2017

Hi,

I just finished translating an Excel spreadsheet (into English) that had been originally started on by another translator. I need to figure out how to subtract the # of words the other translator has done on his own, in order to calculate how much I should be paid. Sounds easy enough, since I have these three documents to work with: The original document, the document partially translated by the other translator, and the finished spreadsheet translated into English.

... See more
Hi,

I just finished translating an Excel spreadsheet (into English) that had been originally started on by another translator. I need to figure out how to subtract the # of words the other translator has done on his own, in order to calculate how much I should be paid. Sounds easy enough, since I have these three documents to work with: The original document, the document partially translated by the other translator, and the finished spreadsheet translated into English.

The problem is that a fair number of cells repeat throughout the document, and none of cell repetitions have been "replace all-ed" yet. It would be time-consuming to go through and do this with each one that he has translated. Can anyone explain to me an efficient method for modifying his partial document so that only the cells that he has translated personally - plus all of the cells' repetitions - are converted to English, so I can then do a word count? I am assuming this can be easily accomplished in MemoQ, or maybe even Excel itself.
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:43
German to English
Use Excel Jun 27, 2017

If you take the original document in Excel count the number of words in the target column before you started translation. Then count the number of words in the completed translation target column and then it's just a matter of subtracting one from the other. You will need a macro to count the words, but if you use Google you will find one.

Regards,

Ben

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:43
English to Russian
Lock confirmed? Jun 27, 2017

You can just lock all segments already translated by the other translator, before you start translation. Filter all confirmed segments (as translated by other translator), lock them, then apply pretranslate to populate the file with your own translation.
- Create a new project with a new empty TM.
- Import your partially translated file.
- Filter all confirmed segments and lock them.
- Add the TM you worked with and pretranslate the file.
Statistics will show you th
... See more
You can just lock all segments already translated by the other translator, before you start translation. Filter all confirmed segments (as translated by other translator), lock them, then apply pretranslate to populate the file with your own translation.
- Create a new project with a new empty TM.
- Import your partially translated file.
- Filter all confirmed segments and lock them.
- Add the TM you worked with and pretranslate the file.
Statistics will show you the real scope of your work provided that the 'Include locked rows' is unchecked.

[Edited at 2017-06-27 20:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Calculating # of words I've translated when Excel doc was started by another person?(Details inside)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »