Lizette Britz
Lizette Britz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:24
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Nov 20, 2009

Hi!

I have been seeing the banner for Google Translate for Translators, and before I download it I was wondering if any of you had tried it.

Thanks!

Liz

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can you give us a URL? Nov 20, 2009

lizette britz wrote:
I have been seeing the banner for Google Translate for Translators, and before I download it I was wondering if any of you had tried it.

Can you give us a URL for it, please? I'm not sure what banner you're talking about -- do you mean that there was a banner advertisement on ProZ.com for it?

Jose Caceres
Jose Caceres
Peru
Local time: 09:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Google Nov 20, 2009

Yes. I have tried it. Around August I had a lot of tourism related material and I decided to give a try to Google Translator. To my surprise, it was rather good. Of course, it makes a lot of mistakes or gives a 180 degree turn to your phrase, but in all it is excellent. That is, if you know well the target language and can make the necessary changes. The best of it is that it gives interesting words and constructions which may not occur to you if you are overburdened with work or in a hurr... See more
Yes. I have tried it. Around August I had a lot of tourism related material and I decided to give a try to Google Translator. To my surprise, it was rather good. Of course, it makes a lot of mistakes or gives a 180 degree turn to your phrase, but in all it is excellent. That is, if you know well the target language and can make the necessary changes. The best of it is that it gives interesting words and constructions which may not occur to you if you are overburdened with work or in a hurry. I'm using it frequently, particularly when the text does not require 100% accuracy, as would be a contract, but gives a certain leeway, as in tourism articles.Collapse

neilmac

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:24
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
URL Nov 20, 2009

I think this is what you're referring to:

http://dallascao.com/en/2009/10/google-translate-for-microsoft-word-gt4word-beta/

Lizette Britz
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
That's the one! Nov 20, 2009

Samuel,

Yes, the banner is on ProZ.com on every page, every time I turn around I see it. Is blue and small.

John,
That's the link.

Thanks Jose!

Liz

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
A smart idea! Nov 21, 2009

Someone had a smart business idea, and I applaud it, but there are some CAT tools which can use GT out of the box, Swordfish and Wordfast, to name a few.

In Swordfish there is a GT plugin, which allows you to send only one segment at a time to GT, so you decide what to send to GT and what not to send.

Sometimes the translation is obvious and very simple, but it is faster to use GT than to type it, if it isn't there in your TM.

Regards,

Piotr... See more
Someone had a smart business idea, and I applaud it, but there are some CAT tools which can use GT out of the box, Swordfish and Wordfast, to name a few.

In Swordfish there is a GT plugin, which allows you to send only one segment at a time to GT, so you decide what to send to GT and what not to send.

Sometimes the translation is obvious and very simple, but it is faster to use GT than to type it, if it isn't there in your TM.

Regards,

Piotr

[Edited at 2009-11-21 09:43 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 09:24
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
It works with DéjàVu, too Nov 21, 2009

I have DVX 7.5.303 on Vista Home Premium.

Last night I perform the test with GT4T Professional Edition, as follows:

1. Copy source to target (F5 or Pseudotranslate)

2. Highlight the target segment (or part of it as needed)

3. Press CTRL+C

4. Count to three, allowing some time for GT to produce the translation

5. Press CTRL+J

and presto!

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
works fine here Nov 22, 2009

Jorge Payan wrote:

I have DVX 7.5.303 on Vista Home Premium.

Last night I perform the test with GT4T Professional Edition, as follows:

1. Copy source to target (F5 or Pseudotranslate)

2. Highlight the target segment (or part of it as needed)

3. Press CTRL+C

4. Count to three, allowing some time for GT to produce the translation

5. Press CTRL+J

and presto!

Hi Jorge,

I investigated this and GT4T works fine with DVX at my computer.

No need to:CTRL+C and count to three. I did not test it on vista though.

Just select text and press CTRL+J. Sometimes you need to count to three after pressing J though as it might takes time for GT to produce translation or internet connection might be too slow for the moment.

Please try again and let me know if the issue persists on your computer.

Thanks Jorge!

Dallas

[Edited at 2009-11-22 15:43 GMT]

Mushu
Mushu
Local time: 16:24
Bulgarian to French
+ ...
In my opinion GT4T is a great tool for translators Nov 22, 2009

Hello everybody,

I have actually installed the version 2.51 of GT4T on Windows XP.

I have tried GT4T several times now, within the work on projects of general interest and not on specialized documents, and with different language pairs (including Cyrillic alphabet languages). I have tried it in Workbench, in Tag Editor, in Word.

My impression is that this is decidedly a very useful tool for translators. It saves a lot of time of searching around the Intern
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have actually installed the version 2.51 of GT4T on Windows XP.

I have tried GT4T several times now, within the work on projects of general interest and not on specialized documents, and with different language pairs (including Cyrillic alphabet languages). I have tried it in Workbench, in Tag Editor, in Word.

My impression is that this is decidedly a very useful tool for translators. It saves a lot of time of searching around the Internet for the meaning of words and syntagms, and it appears that Google sometimes offers surprisingly accurate and even astonishingly good matches for some words/expressions.

The author of the application explains very clearly on his homepage when it is worth using GT4T. He is right saying that there is no point translating whole texts with it; we are still much better translators than Google is, and hopefully this will continue. In the same time GT is constantly improving and one has to acknowledge that, and why not use it for one's own profit.
GT4T can do a great job for suggestions or even for some very simple and/or repetitive phrases, saving us the typing, and, of course, with a thorough review afterwards. The dictionary feature is also very useful.

The application is also very user-friendly, handy and quick, and uninstalls quite properly, too.

My overall opinion is that GT4T is a timely, practical, useful CAT tool worth trying and using when we decide its use is appropriate.
Collapse

MJ Barber
MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I saw this for the first time yesterday Nov 23, 2009

... and my question is this:

is it a web-based service? If so, are we providing Google with translations? Are we improving Google Translate for them?

Are there implications for document confidentiality? for copyright?

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
about confidentiality Nov 23, 2009

MJ Barber wrote:

is it a web-based service? If so, are we providing Google with translations? Are we improving Google Translate for them?

No, we are not providing Google with translations. We only get translations from them. When you hit CTRL+J and translations from Google replaces the source text. If you make changes to what Google has provided, it won't be collected (I am sure) by Google. Google Translate is not a spyware; it is a free on-line service.

As for confidentiality issues, using Google Translate makes no difference with using other online dictionaries. Though it is recommended that you only use it to translate terms and phrases, not sentences, I believe Google won't purposely collect your uploaded fractions of text and try to make sense out of it.

Well it is probably not unwise to be cautious about confidentiality issues. But let's think this way: if you are using TRADOS, Wordfast, DVX, whatever, how can be be 100% sure they are not collecting your data? (I believe they don't). They are potentially more dangerous as we are using them to translate whole coherent passages! Are these companies (some are small private companies) more trustable than Google?

Let's go even further, are you sure emails services like Gmail or yahoo mail or anything do not steal or peep into your documents? Should we use regular mail instead of email? Are you sure the governments won't intercept your mails?

I am a half expert on internet security ( I learnt computer cryptology in school). I know the only way to be entirely safe is to disconnect from the internet, use paper dictionaries, and fly to your client yourself thousands miles away.

Sorry for sounding a little pesky, MJ. I hope I am clear with my points:-)

Florbela Marques
Lenka Bartošová
Daryo

Lizette Britz
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
bug? Nov 23, 2009

I am trying google translate in word. I found one tiny problem. I highlight a sentence I want google to translate and press ctrl+j. The Spanish translation appears. Then I go to the next sentence and do the same process, but instead of the new translation appearing, the previous translation shows up. This happen also on Trados, when I was trying it out. I have Vista.

I have to say that for simple texts it saves time, and also when you get stuck trying to find a translation. It give
... See more
I am trying google translate in word. I found one tiny problem. I highlight a sentence I want google to translate and press ctrl+j. The Spanish translation appears. Then I go to the next sentence and do the same process, but instead of the new translation appearing, the previous translation shows up. This happen also on Trados, when I was trying it out. I have Vista.

I have to say that for simple texts it saves time, and also when you get stuck trying to find a translation. It gives you a twist that you might not have thought about.

Liz
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
yes, it is Nov 24, 2009

lizette britz wrote:

I have to say that for simple texts it saves time, and also when you get stuck trying to find a translation. It gives you a twist that you might not have thought about.

Liz

Hi Liz,

It is a bug. Luckily that doesn't always happen. To avoid it you can press CTRL+C first and then CTRL+J. Also in Word you can use CTRL+ALT+H instead of CTRL+J. There won't be such a problem with CTRL+ALT+H.

Dallas

Lizette Britz
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Nov 24, 2009

Thanks Dallas!

Liz

Lizette Britz
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It seems google does collect the translations Nov 26, 2009

Dallas Cao wrote:

MJ Barber wrote:

No, we are not providing Google with translations. We only get translations from them. When you hit CTRL+J and translations from Google replaces the source text. If you make changes to what Google has provided, it won't be collected (I am sure) by Google. Google Translate is not a spyware; it is a free on-line service.

As for confidentiality issues, using Google Translate makes no difference with using other online dictionaries. Though it is recommended that you only use it to translate terms and phrases, not sentences, I believe Google won't purposely collect your uploaded fractions of text and try to make sense out of it.

I read this article where it says that Google collects all the translations into a giant translation memory, then it goes on talking about copyrighting laws that google might be breaking. It's interesting.

Liz

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GT4T

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »